A short exploration job

Lake Superior sits in the background

Lake Superior is visible in the background on a day when the weather cooperated.

I took CF-ETQ to Wawa for a Falconbridge Nickel contract in the spring of 1970. It was a good job, but the weather didn’t cooperate, and we spent a lot of time weathered in at the campsite on Eagle Lake. More often than not it was the fog that rolled in off of Lake Superior that kept us on the ground. That didn’t make Lloyd, the young field geologist in charge, happy, but there was nothing we could do except wait it out.

There were problems with the helicopter too. An oil line blew, and a generator had to be replaced. By that time it wasn’t a major problem for me, since I had spent quite a bit of time apprenticing on the model 47s. Viking sent out the parts, and I did the replacement.

The job lasted a month. We were all happy to see the end of it and thus the end of the weather that had kept us on the ground a lot of the time.
Some years later after I had moved to Thunder Bay, I ran into Lloyd, the field geologist on the Eagle Lake job. He was more than happy to tell me about his lucky strike and the fact that it had made him wealthy. He didn’t quite put it that way, of course, but that was the gist of the conversation. I wanted to ask if Falconbridge had a profit-sharing plan – which I’m sure it did – but instead I asked if he was still with the company, and he said yes, he was.

Whether the Eagle Lake job had come in for the company and for Lloyd, or another site had worked its magic for him, I have no idea. Lloyd had obviously connected somewhere and hit the big time. I ran into him a number of times over the years I spent in Thunder Bay. Each time he was still with Falconbridge, and with his fortune made at a young age, each time I noticed that he was still extremely happy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.